FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - First Annual Non-Denominational Kosher Hannuka Do! NYC 11th December
Old Oct 24, 2012, 4:44 am
Dovster
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by badatz
In midtown there is Mr. Broadway on 38th and Broadway, which is strictly Kosher and offers a full old style deli menu (their cole slaw is out of this world). It also has chinese and a sushi bar as well as Israeli meats and schwarma. There is of course over stuffed deli sandwiches.

They have a private room plus the main dining area. The ambiance was old world deli, however they just finished a major renovation which made it more modern but they still kept the vinyl couch seating in the main room.

It is my obligatory NYC stop when I come in and I will be there next week for supper.

Might be worth a consideration
Somehow, I can't quite see sushi and Chinese food helping provide the traditional NYC kosher deli experience. The same, of course, is true for Israeli meats and schwarma (in fact, those are specifically what I am looking to escape from).

Originally Posted by fbnewyork
While Mr. Broadway does meet the Hecher, located in Midtown it does not make for a comfortable sitting and schmoozing atmosphere. There is a second location of the Second Ave. Deli, at First Ave and 75th. Street. Less crowded, and a bit away from midtown (but across the street from where I live). I'm out of the country till Nov 10, but happy to inquire if nothing else seems to be working.
Seeing as we have people coming from all over, it seems to me that Midtown is actually the best location (although I can certainly see why you would prefer 75th Street.

That said, in regards to Mr. Broadway, Second Ave, Ben's, and any other place that might be suitable, I am going to leave that up to ysolde, after she speaks to the various managers. I don't think she can really do that yet, as we still need to firm up the number of people who will be coming, but I hope that she can start making inquiries on Nov 11, a month before the Do.

As far as I am concerned, the important factors are:

1. A NYC kosher deli atmosphere (even if it is not glatt kosher).

2. A convenient location.

3. Their willingness to reserve tables for us (and, if possible, a private room).

4. Timing: It must be lunch, not dinner.

5. Their agreement to give each person his own bill (and to allow each person to order whatever he wants). Restaurants often try to avoid these for several reasons -- chiefly to make it both easier and more profitable for them -- but if they can handle 20 people who walk in off the street in this way they can handle 20 who arrive together.