FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Primer] Using Points for French Polynesia
Old Oct 23, 2012, 4:20 pm
stupidzbu

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by eknock007
Doing LAX-PPT through *A is doable, just that you will need to plan for a trip after April and have only two says out of the week to do it with a possible overnight/long layeover in SYD or AKL. Meaning your travel time each way could be anywhere between 28 and 45 hrs. I have priced out a LAX-SYD-AKL-PPT departing on a late-evening Wednesday, arriving on a Friday very early morning, for 35K miles and $6 (total travel time, 29hrs). Yeah is looks like two days later but you cross the the international dateline twice I believe by doing this, once on the way to SYD and once from AKL to PPT. Had to look for availability segment by segment and then pieced it together with a multi-destination search. I have done one in reverse and it is one travel day but almost the same travel time (around 30hrs) and taxes were higher at around $56. But I agree with above poster that anything not direct LAX-PPT is crazy.
this actually might work out for my plan.

The wife and I have 14 days off in Dec 2013 and we want to:

1) Go to the great barrier reef
2) spend at least 4-6 nights in BOB/MOZ combo
3) Get to Easter Island

We are in BOS now ... and I need to play around with availability to see if we should do

BOS - LAX - AU - layover - PPT - layover - IPC - layover - USA - BOS

We have

200k BA
40k UA
30k AA

So my next churn will focus on miles

Hotel-wise we have

360k HH
80k PC

So that should be good for a majority of the more expensive stays. I can always get some HYATT CCs for the AU segment.

My question is... how do people get from BOB to MOZ? Do you have to go back to PPT? If so, then PPT-MOZ-PPT by ferry then PPT-BOB by plane makes the most sense, correct?