FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Westin Montreal, Canada [Master Thread]
View Single Post
Old Oct 22, 2012, 9:46 pm
travellingcari

Programs: SPG, AA, B6. No longer "still CO to me" with account spent down. RIP CO.
Smile Impressive but not perfect

Labor Day Weekend stay.

Loved the staff and location of this property. I'd read some complaints (more TripAdvisor/Yelp than here) about check in time but we arrived around 1p on a Friday and all was smooth. We were able to get into our room and quickly headed out to explore the city on foot. We also could have taken the metro due to proximity of the Place d'Armes station on the orange line. We ate breakfast daily at the Gazette and the buffet is very high quality. Worth taking advantage of if it's in your room rate, which it was for us. NOTE: There was signage in French only about Gazette closing for some time - but I don't recall the dates. Hot food and usually American channels on TV, better selection than what is available in the rooms. The rooms are of typical Westin quality and everything was up to expectations. I love the current shampoo and conditioner selection.

We were upgraded to the Westin Workout Floor and while I didn't get to take advantage of the gym or the pool, both looked great. Love the idea of the glass bottomed pool. The operator responded promptly to minor issues in the room. I received some benefits as Gold, but also love the specials on the hotel's own site. The Sweet Deal package is a very good one and the benefits are ones that can be used on along weekend without going to waste. Had lounge access but as it wasn't well stocked in the weekend and we had breakfast at Gazette, I only popped in once for a soda. They provided two in room waters as there were two of us. Charged $1 for them - probably could have argued it, but it was $1, the water was good and it got me points.

There is some confusion among the concierge staff about some of the hotel's offers but overall great service throughout and issues related to Montreal Museum Pass resolved promptly. I'm pinning the hiccups on a new-ish promotion and/or new staff. For a major chain in a cosmopolitan city, surprised at non English speaking staff/French-only signage. Yes, I realize Montreal is a french-speaking city, but not what I'd have expected in the means of communicating with international guests. With its location across from the Palais de Congress and right in the old city, it works for business or leisure travelers.