FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New COS policy as of November 7, 2012: Free second seats for walk-ups
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:04 pm
SDCA

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Originally Posted by normalone
This makes no sense. Why would I as a COS purchase a second seat in advance if I knew they wouldn't charge me if I just showed up at the airport? Yes, I almost always get a refund but it means giving Southwest a "loan" of a lot of money for however long in advance I purchase my ticket (so for me they often have a lot of my money tied up as I have many many tickets purchased at any one time).
Maybe it helps SWA not overselling the flight at the last minute because a COS didn't purchase the extra seat.

If that extra was not purchased ahead of time, SWA would have not known if that second seat is going to be occupy by a COS and would then have to bump someone off accomodate the COS.

And as a courtesty, the COS SHOULD buy two seats when making reservation because I would probably be the one that gets bumped off a flight to accommodate the COS with TWO seats.

Last edited by SDCA; Oct 21, 2012 at 8:06 am