FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rome tourists face €500 snacking fine
View Single Post
Old Oct 20, 2012, 7:30 pm
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thank goodness!

I have seen literal windrows and piles of rubbish in Rome at tourist venues as well as at religious venues after crowds have dispersed. I am sure it is costing the City amazing amounts of money to clean up after all the uncaring people.

I doubt anyone will fine you if you are standing near a dustbin and chuck the wrapper in - this is about the (unfortunately) thousands who carry bagfuls of snacks and drinks in, and leave it all on the ground when they are done. Pretty much as others have said above.

(Some comments offsite indicate the real problems are different, but the citric, carbonic and other acids in soft drinks not only destroy tooth enamel etc. they attack limestone and other stone constructions, and - have you ever seen a melted, baked and hardened gelato stuck to a stone railing?)

Originally Posted by rwoman
Hi Everyone,

I saw this in the news - Rome tourists face €500 snacking fine

Is it REALLY going to promote business at cafes?! When traveling, I often take healthy snacks with me to avoid eating junk I should generally stay away from.

Of course, it's pretty hard to avoid historic/architecturally valuable areas in Rome!!

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 20, 2012 at 7:40 pm