FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Behind the Scenes at London City Airport
View Single Post
Old Oct 19, 2012, 6:49 am
Kevincm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
The fire service tender drove over to Gate 23 where security was waiting for us. After being re-cleared, I caught a few pictures of the BA A318's parked next to each other.

Engine work on G-EUNA

After that is was the short walk to Domestic Arrivals and the information desk where this tour started to end this tour.

I thanked my guides profusely for the tour of the airport and for the opportunities that were offered during the day.

Passing the main entrance - not the BA1/3 Check-in area and trolley.

Exit to the car park and buses

Another view

Information totem - also lists the airlines active at LCY

Armed with an information pack and a lot to digest and write about, it was time to head the short distance to the DLR station (exit the foyer, turn right to the DLR, beep an Oyster Card and then up to the platform).

Two trains later, I was back at ExCeL and at the aLoft to recombine my baggage (and also to do an emergency patch job to my clothes - no, don't ask...).

The back of the The aLoft ExCeL.

At Midday I checked out of the hotel, with all charges settled correctly. It was then off to Canary Wharf for a coffee with a friend, and then back on the Jubilee line up to Baker Street.

Call me soft - but I do like this bit of Tube Artwork

Then one stop across to London Marylebone main line station

There was only a short wait for a train, and it was back to Birmingham Moor Street. Again the service was nice and fast, comfortable and not overloaded for what is an off peak journey. 1 hour 40 I was at Moor Street, and at the front door of the flat 20 minutes later.

And no red door picture for HIDDY. I was more interested in heading back out to the shop to get some food for the evening.

-----

And that's a peak behind the scenes at London City Airport.

The impression I got of the airport and its staff is professionalism, care to the job and a sense it was a big family as opposed to larger faceless places - something that carries through when it comes to customer interaction

The Marketing and Press Team who were my hosts that day do an excellent job with a well filled Twitter feed that is manned by a person, and keeping people informed - which is so important in a place where people are moving in and out and need to know what is going on.

They also have one hell of a Internet connectivity link at London City Airport if you're going through and using their Free WiFi - to deal with the surges in use, they have upgraded from 10mb line to a 100mb line so that users can keep connected at speed.

For an airport that targets business travellers - the need for decent connectivity on the road is met here - something that is lacking at even major hubs.

London City Airport has various factors going for it - least of all its location, but its people, its service, and its "can do" attitude. Combine that with the detail to safety, the growing route network and the connectivity to and from the airport as well as the speed you can get through the place...

If your travels take you through to London and London City Airport comes up as an end point to your journey, I'd urge you to try it.

You might be very surprised as it puts some of the pleasure back into flying.

I'd like add my personal thanks the Marketing and Communications Team at London City Airport for hosting me for the day and to the management at Boarding Area for passing me over the invitation for the rare behind the scenes visit of London City Airport.

Your thoughts and comments are welcome as always

Disclosure: London City Airport kindly supplied a hotel room at aLoft ExCeL to me to assist in this visit. Some details and factual information has been provided by London City Airport Corporate Communications Department.

All opinions expressed within this trip are my own, represent my own personal thoughts and my observations during the visit.

My Previous Trip Reports

LHR-BRU-LHR ... or "How do you burn a £50 BMI voucher without too much pain?"
MAN-ORD on BMI (29/10 ... or Did Kevin Make it to ORD?)
Kevin goes for a little mileage run on UA - ORD/CHM/IAD/EWR/ORD
ORD-MAN in BMI Premium Economy (with Pictures)
Kevin’s American Adventure – MAN-ORD-SEA-ORD-MAN (4 flights, 2 weeks) in Y..
ORD - MAN in BMI Premium Economy: How hard can a PE product drop? (also random moans)
LHR-PHL-SEA, SEA-PHX-ORD, ORD-PHL-LHR - In Y, Come and be scared with US!
LHR-SFO-LHR - If you're going to San Francisco - SFO MegaDO Trip report
Gold Run - Mr Kevincm goes to Washington with EI and US
Long Haul Commuter Run - LHR-IAD-ORD and back with UA
Saying Goodbye to a Friend - Travelling for the wrong reasons - LHR-PHL with UA (Also on GhettoIFE.com - expanded)
The BA Y+/Y Class Long Haul Experience LHR-BKK/SIN-SYD and back on a bargain fare (Also on GhettoIFE.com -Expanded)
The Autumn Run - Mixing Business with Pleasure (C/F/Y adventures with UA and US) (Also on GhettoIFE.com -Expanded)
Long Way Home - The Spring Commute with UA and CO (Also on GhettoIFE.com - Expanded)
Atlanta or Bust (and Frankfurt too!) - (Also on GhettoIFE.com - Expanded)
Drinks in Belfast with the BMI Board with LCC’s - (Also on GhettoIFE.com - Expanded)
Kevin get’s a bit of Seoul - First and Business class with Asiana Airlines and Thai to Seoul and Hong Kong (Also on GhettoIFE.com - Expanded)
Mixed Classes and Infinite/Madness: The Autumn Run with United - LHR-ORD-LAS-LAX-SFO-DEN-LHR - Also on GhettoIFE.com - expanded
Gold Run 2: Blame Canada! It's Only A Mileage Run anyway! (To YVR with AC, CO, BD..) also on Also on GhettoIFE.com - expanded
Re-Creating a Photo - To New York with United, British Airways and BMI Baby (Also on GhettoIFE.com)
Going the Canadian Way: To Chicago with Air Canada (LHR-YYZ-ORD in Y) (also on GhettoIFE.com)
SEN for £129? SEN Status Match Run with Swiss and Helvetic. (also on GhettoIFE.com)
Multimodal Mayhem with Coaches, Ferries, Brussels Airlines and Air Canada (also on GhettoIFE.com)
A Smooch of Chicago and a Kiss of DC – with United – LHR-ORD-IAD-LHR (also on GhettoIFE.com)
Narrow Minds and Narrow Bodies - To Denver with the New United, Aer Lingus and FlyBe (also on GhettoIFE.com)
Farewell Miles to Japan, Hong Kong and Seoul with ANA, Thai and Asiana with ANA's new 787 (also on GhettoIFE.com)
Creating a Photo - to New York with British Airways aboard the Airbus A318 in Club World London City (also on GhettoIFE.com)

Last edited by Kevincm; Oct 19, 2012 at 7:29 am