FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Another "enhancement" for Govt Flyers
View Single Post
Old Oct 16, 2012, 2:58 pm
qukslvr619

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Clearly people assume everything is YCA=stealing my upgrades. That's not the case here.

So let me sum it up this way. US is the contract carrier for SANPHL. They have two fares $400 OW (limited avail) or $500 OW (unrestricted). In the past UA, AA, DL, WN, etc would match somewhere between the $400-$500 OW range. UA is no longer publishing govt fares for SANPHL except for a Y fare at $1200 OW. So if UA was cheaper than US fare of $500, I could book UA, thus saving mine/your tax payer money. Now the only option I have is to book US at $500; the only way to fly UA is to book SANIAD/IADPHL seperately......no one will be able to do that.

What you are assuming is that by booking UA on the non-contract routes it was more expensive, costing the govt more money in the process. Thats not what I am saying.....what I am saying is that UA not only is losing the revenue, but the govt will be incurring additional costs because the option to book a cheaper carrier, namely UA, is no longer there.

Originally Posted by gailwynand
Feel free to do so, fewer government employees on YCA fares stealing upgrades from taxpayers sounds good to me.
The number of govt flyers on YCA fares will remain the same, since they will still be flying on UA hub-to-hub and nonstops. What you wont see is anyone flying on W/U/T/S etc fares on connecting itineraries, thus equating to lost revenue to UA.

The only ones stealing upgrades from you is UA selling TODs. These YCA fares wont ticket until 3 days out, which at that point 1K, Platinum, Gold would have theoretically been upgraded. By the same token do you feel that a silver reaccom'd on a Y fare but was ticketed on a L fare is stealing? Cause guess who is going to get the upgrade? A 1K on an L fare or that Silver that is now booked on a Y fare?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 16, 2012 at 4:37 pm Reason: merge