FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any Travel Tips for Women?
View Single Post
Old Oct 16, 2012, 7:54 am
carole_d

Originally Posted by Analise
Indeed, trust your instincts. Did you have time to just walk out of the elevator before the doors closed? I've done that; when I've felt uncomfortable on an elevator especially when someone gets in and doesn't press a button, I get out immediately. Doesn't happen often but it does happen.
I was jet lagged and had put in a full day's work, so it didn't occur to me until the doors were closing. Another lesson learned: pay extra attention to your surroundings when you know you're tired.

Originally Posted by Analise
Other advice:

1. Pack lightly so you can be self sufficient.
2. Never get in an empty or nearly empty subway car. Go where the crowds are.
3. Wear your purse across your body. Smaller strapped purses can easily be stolen.
4. Make sure your purse is closed while you are out and about. So many women leave their purses open.
5. This has been said before, but when you check in, make sure the front desk doesn't announce your room number but instead writes it down for you.
6. Don't walk and text.
7. Have fun!!!
I agree with all of the above except number three. In Malaysia, "snatch thefts" are very common. Two men on a motorcycle (or scooter) pull up and the passenger grabs a woman's bag. Several women have been killed being dragged down the road.

I carry a small purse with a shoulder strap and keep it tucked snugly under my arm. I also carry it on the side away from the street and walk near the buildings (away from the road). Additionally, I keep anything that I can't live without (i.e. passport) somewhere other than my purse.