FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Feedback thread for the official LH Lurker(s), LufthansaGermanAirlines
Old Oct 15, 2012, 8:21 pm
SMK77

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by LufthansaGermanAirlines
Hi everyone,

There are still unanswered questions regarding op-ups, proving that this issue is very important to you. However, I have to tell you that it is indeed impossible to provide you with a fixed set of procedure rules applicable to each and every situation.

Our check-in system does suggest an operational UPG list based on the booked class and status. But in the end, the final UPG decision lies in the hand of the the local station, and may even take other factors than status and tarif into account - there may be reasons why neither the HON nor the highest booking class holder receive the operational upgrade. It always depends on the individual situation. And paid upgrades - e.g. with miles - will always have priority.

I realize that this answer will not completely satisfy you. I can promise you that it is our aim to give you as much information as possible, but there will always be topics or details that Lufthansa considers confidential. In these cases we do hope for your understanding, that we – the Lufthansa Flyertalk Team – will have to adhere to this. As for seat 1A's question about the definition of customer equity - Lufthansa's internal defintion is considered to be such confidential information.

But you can be sure that we will always forward your statements and opinions to the responsible Lufthansa departments. In this case, I have understood that for you, op-ups are a clear sign of Lufthansa acknowledging your loyalty as a top tier customer, and I have passed this on.

Best regards,

Michaela
For the benefit of clear and transparent communication, let me 'translate' your slightly cryptic message:

Booking class trumps status. The earlier post by the LH team that status is the main driver for upgrades is wrong. LH does not care whether you are HON or SEN when it comes to op-ups unless you are booked in the most expensive booking class.

System Upgrade List trumps over staff. LH has taken all empowerment from staff and the system generated list needs to be adhered to. Deviations from that list need to have a rationale and are thoroughly audited. That's true for German and international stations. Hence, booking class over status is strictly enforced.

No rule without exceptions. While LH tries to perfectionize their yield management approach, there are sometimes circumstances beyond control. In those exceptional circumstances, an upgrade could be handed out to someone flying on an awards, a non-eligible booking class or might not have status. The total number of these exceptions should be very, very small.

Upgrade trumps redemption. FTL upgrading a Z ticket with miles is getting priority over HON redeeming an award in First. Note the difference to the LX approach where HONs still get priority.

Smoke and mirrors still seems to be Lufthansa's preferred mean of communication. Appreciate that the lurkers are still escalating the matter for further review though.