FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Alaska has a second area code?
View Single Post
Old Oct 10, 2012, 7:10 pm
drat19

Programs: AA Gold, DL FO, HH Diamond
This reminds me of the town of Lanett, AL...it's a border town with GA, and along that border is the Eastern/Central Time Zone border. The neighboring town across the GA border is West Point, GA, which for a long time was a "company town" due to the dominance of the West Point Stevens mill. So, since so many Lanett residents worked for the mill, residents and businesses in Lanett observed Eastern Time to match the town where so many of its residents worked. And despite the decline of the company in West Point, Lanett still observes Eastern Time.

How did I learn all this? During a recent eastbound road trip I grabbed a hotel for the night in Lanett, and when I mentioned to the desk clerk that I would be waking up early to outrun Atlanta metro traffic the next morning, he explained to me that my room's clock radio was set to Eastern Time, and why. As anyone who's traveled through Atlanta knows, an hour on a work day makes ALL the difference to get through town and beat the traffic. Needless to say, the clock radio situation completely blew my mind that night, because my cell phone (my usual alarm clock source) was still displaying Central Time from its local cell signal. My body had no idea when to wake up that next morning.

Bonus: While writing this anecdote, I looked up the time zone situation on Wikipedia, and discovered it's more than just West Point Stevens and Lanett on that side of AL observing Eastern Time. Read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Time_Zone