FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2013 Ford Escape SEL-AWD 2.0L EcoBoost Ride Report/Review
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:03 pm
piper28

Originally Posted by Tuneman1984
It's a smaller displacement engine, so it essentially does more with less thanks to the turbocharger. Hence why both Ecoboost engines are actually smaller than the base engine, but put out more horsepower and get far better mileage than the previous model's conventional engines.
I've got to admit, I'm still skeptical on the gas mileage issue on these turbo engines. I haven't driven one of the Ford ecoboost engines enough to get a feel for the gas mileage (ok, I've simply test-driven a Ford Edge when I was looking to replace my old Grand Cherokee), but I do have a car currently (Passat) that uses a 1.8T, and while highway mileage is ok, quite honestly, city mileage is not all that impressive (as in, barely better than my 8 cyl Grand Cherokee was in city).

I will say that I was very impressed with the power on the Edge's I4 ecoboost (which I think is the same engine as in the Escape), and in the short time I drove it didn't notice any turbo lag (something I find pretty noticeable in my Passat), and quite honestly, if I hadn't read the sticker, I probably wouldn't have guessed that it had a 4 cyl in it.