FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Oct 8, 2012, 5:58 am
miniliq

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Thanks to jlemon for another set of excellent questions. I'll have a gander a couple of them...

The first question has a time line of April 1981:

7) In April of 1974, this commuter airline operated DHC-6 "Twin Otter" turboprop service several times a day between two major airports in the northeast U.S. They had some interesting competition as well in the form of three major air carriers flying jet equipment on the very same route. Two of these carriers operated Boeing 707-320 service while the third carrier operated flights with Boeing 727-200 and Douglas DC-9-30 aircraft. Identify the route and all four airlines.

Just shooting from the hip here, but could it have been Air New England between Hartford to Boston? I know they flew Twin Otters and those two cities would be good candidates for service from larger airlines such as 707 operators American and TWA and DC-9-30/727-200 operator Northeast - but wait! Didn't they merge with Delta a couple of years earlier? I think they did so I'm gonna go with Eastern as the DC-9/727 operator. My first ever flight aboard an L-1011 was on Eastern between EWR and BDL (1977) and I once flew a United DC-10 from BDL up to BOS (1984).
I like Seat 2A's choice of the BOS-BDL route, and my 1/15/74 OAG shows service by Eastern with no less than three different aircraft -- DC-9, L-1011, and 727; it also has Delta (727), Allegheny (BAC-111), and TWA (Boeing 320), plus two commuter airlines flying the Twin Otters: Pilgrim and Executive Airlines.

But another possibility would be BOS-LGA, with service by DL (727-200), AA (727), and EA (DC-9, 727, L-1011), but the only commuter was Air New England, using a Beech 99.

So my final answer is BOS-JFK, with service by DL (727-200), AA (707), NA (727-200). (TWA also had a once a week flight with a 707). The commuter is Pilgrim with the Twin Otter service, but not non-stop -- either two or three stops.

And to jlemon -- LSU may not have pulled through, but the Saints finally got in the win column!