FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Weight limit on carry-on?
View Single Post
Old Oct 7, 2012, 11:42 pm
Bigzamboni

Originally Posted by rkkwan
Never seen any weighed, and I have not seen any scales at the gate. Just don't act labored, and put the bulk on the floor. You don't want to hurt yourself lifting the heavy bag up anyways. Off-topic, but check if you need to declare with US Customs if the value exceeds $10k.

Yep, was planning to just roll imy bag on, quickly pull it out and slide it under the seat in front of me. Won't even take longer than some people need in the aisles to do whatever it is they do. Currently in bank bags each weighing around 15kg each, which volume-wise, doesn't take up much space.

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
Yes, any amount $10,000 or greater in currency/monetary instruments must be declared upon departure from the United States, using Form finCEN 105.

It may also need to be declared upon entry at your point of arrival.

If these are collectors' coins, they could also be subject to an import duty in your destination country.

It might end up being over 10,000 coins, but nowhere near that in dollars.

A mix of current European and still-exchangeable, well-circulated legacy currencies, so I don't think anything would really be considered collectible, if I even get close to 430€ at a time with non-current stuff.

Also a direct flight, so no need to worry about the miserly inter-Euro limits, though on connections I guess they complain less.

While I know valuables aren't covered by the luggage liability, wonder some of the 1-5 cent stuff is safe in checked baggage. It would certainly be difficult for a baggage handler to walk away with a 15kg bag of coins.. And even more difficult for some TSA-Goon to try and pawn off if they wanted to try looting it anyway.