FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Q4 Promo - 1000 Points
View Single Post
Old Oct 7, 2012, 3:30 am
76Patriots

Programs: UA 1k, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by alexkgtu
it really depends on how long your stays are, how much the rate is etc.
cheap one nighters are ideal for hilton promo. if rate is under $300, its better do fixed miles.
points+points? well, you can do that too, if you dont want 40K bonus points at all. lol
Cheap one night stays are ideal for marriott as well. lol
without knowing the details, it's hard to say which would be better - calculator should be of great help here

Want the best value? do one night stays, if rate is the same.
No, I want the promo! I meant the 40k VA promo is not 40,000 additional net points (because I won't get the my preference=miles 50% bonus).

I'd guess my average stay is around $200 base. I'll do about 25 nights/8 stays (unless I do some hopping) between Nov 1 and Dec 31. So the VA promo will net me 27,500 points plus the Q4 promo which will be at most 15k = 42k in 'promo' points (if I do my stays at Hilton).
With Marriott if I do 9 stays I am looking at 3 certs.

I work like a dog when I am on the road -- so hopping usually ain't something I am up for or have the motivation to do (I have for the free certs promos of the past).
It's a tough call but with Diamond for 2013 already in the bag and no hopping needed to get the 3 free certs with Marriott (or maybe 1 hop), I'm probably (though not definitely) going with Marriott for the rest of this year.

Thanks again Alex....