FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers
Old Oct 3, 2012, 6:38 pm
PhotoJim

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
Originally Posted by born sleepy
Oh, OK. But the opposite is not true. I had to apply and be interviewed separately for NEXUS post-GE approval. Never really understood why. If it turns out I drove six hours to Houlton NB and back for nothing I'll be a little annoyed. Their iris scanner was on the fritz so I have a little "NO IRIS SCAN" sticker on my NEXUS card, which makes me wonder if it's going to be of any use.
Because with NEXUS, Canada and the US both screen and approve you; with GE only the US does. If you already have NEXUS, the US has already approved you so there is no decision to make on GE. You already qualify.

As for the iris scan, you can get one opportunistically the next time you are at a NEXUS-equipped airport or a land crossing that has iris scanners. You won't be able to use NEXUS to clear Canadian Customs until you get the scan, but it's easy to get one afterward. No appointment is needed as long as the NEXUS office is open. (All Canadian NEXUS-equipped airports can take your scan, but only some land crossings can.)