FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Yes, yet another hidden city question
View Single Post
Old Oct 2, 2012, 4:17 pm
LeeAnne

Originally Posted by cbn42
Here's another analogy:

A gallon of milk is normally $5 and a quart is $2. However, there is currently a special on gallons, and they are $1.50. I don't want a gallon, I just want a quart. So I take a quart, pay $1.50, and leave. I took LESS than what I paid for, so is that acceptable?

The issue here is that you consider the SJO-PHX flight to be a part of the SJO-PHX-LAX flight, just like one donut is part of the package of three. The airline, however, considers them to be entirely separate products, just like the quart of milk is not part of the gallon, but rather an entirely different item with a different price.
Um...your analogy doesn't work. The store wouldn't SELL me the quart for only $1.50, would they? If I bought a quart, they would charge me $2, because that's the price. How'd you get away with only paying $1.50 for it? Did you steal it? Did you hand them the money and dash? That, my friend, would be robbery!

On the other hand, I certainly have the option of buying the whole gallon, paying the $5, drinking the quart right there in the store, and tossing out the rest, don't I?

Think about it. I know it's hard, but just think about it.

Same thing with the airline. I bought the whole gallon. But now I only want to drink 3/4 of it. And that's all I'm gonna drink. And they can't make me drink the rest, or charge me for not drinking it. (If you're having difficulty with this, replace "gallon" with "flight" and "drink" with "use".)

And you can't call me unethical for not drinking it either. (Well, you can, but it's not true and makes you look kinda silly!)

Amending to add: This one is so off the mark that it's hilarious! THANK YOU! Mom and I are laughing like crazy on the phone. We're also wondering how you think we could walk into a store, pick up a quart of milk that is marked at $2, and somehow walk out of the store paying $1.50 without getting arrested for shoplifting. Hmmm...could it be...the FORCE? "This is not the droid you're looking for. And this milk only costs a buck fifty. Pay no attention to the price tag around the corner."

HAHAHAHA!!! I'm dying here...thank you so much for the entertainment!

Last edited by LeeAnne; Oct 2, 2012 at 4:28 pm