FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Everything you wanted to know about AA terminal / connections at Chicago - ORD
Old Sep 29, 2012, 5:54 pm
Upgraded!

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Everything you wanted to know about AA terminal / connections at Chicago - ORD

Based on a splendid suggestion from our mod JDiver, I thought we could use an information thread about ORD for AA connections, including pros, cons, tips and strategies. I'll begin, but my list is hardly comprehensive and hopefully others will share as well!

First off, the AA terminal map:

Ticket Counter Hours: 3:30 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.
AA Flagship Lounge near K19 6:30 a.m. – 9:45 p.m. daily (not on map)
ORD / Chicago O'Hare (AA-centric, July 2014)

This shows the different concourses, as well as the locations of facilities like the lounges.

Some of the things I personally think help counterbalance the overcrowding (of planes, not people) and weather at ORD are:

1. Ease of navigation. Unlike MIA for example, which practically requires a tour guide, it's pretty straightforward, albeit fairly large.

2. Airside connections to all but the int'l terminal. It makes switching airlines that much easier if you must and it's a feature few airports have.

3. BA shuttle. No, BA did not institute ORD-LHR hourly shuttle service (yea, we wish... ), but they now have a bus that runs from T3 (AA terminal) to T5 (int'l terminal) for AA pax connecting to BA flights. Must have a BA BP, though (sorry for those connecting to CX).

4. Food offerings in AA terminal. The Frontera Grill is just about tops for airport food, beaten only by the offerings at SFO T2 (in my opinion).

5. Schedules. Despite frequent delays, it's pretty difficult to beat for schedules. AA serves most domestic destinations from ORD (except for a few smaller ones only served from DFW) and there tend to be multiple flights per day. It's also relatively convenient in terms of geography for int'l connections from most parts of the country and serves pretty much every int'l destination AA offers outside of South America.

6. Multiple AC lounges. While JFK, MIA and DFW also feature several their placement at ORD is quite good; there's a massive one between the H and K concourses which you almost certainly have to pass by when making a connection, as well as a mini "satellite" club over in the AE concourse. Also a FL exists at the end where most 777s depart from for those traveling int'l.

7. Lodging options if connecting overnight/misconnecting/experiencing ire-ops. The ORD Hilton, which is connected underground to T3, is probably the best on-site airport hotel I've ever used. The other hotel options feel closer by than at many other airports.

8. Public transportation. ORD remains the only airport, other than DCA and SFO, which I will access via public transportation because it's often faster/more convenient than car. It is the only airport I know of, outside of DCA, where the subway actually comes into the airport and there's no need to take some kind of shuttle or tram to/from (like with SFO or BOS). Also wayyyyyyyy cheaper than the SFO equivalent.

9. Another major airline uses ORD as a main hub as well. Yes, that's important. Why? Because in the case of major delays or cancellations it's much easier to get rebooked on another carrier than at DFW or MIA. LGA, JFK, LAX and SFO are probably similarly well equipped, but these are much less likely to be used as connecting airports (particularly LGA and SFO).

Others probably connect here much more frequently than I do, so hopefully they will share other tips and tricks such as best places to hide out if no AC access is available, which service centers/desks generally have very helpful agents or rarely have lines, good ways to handle irr-ops when trying to decide what course of action to take and other things like that. The more contributions we get the less painful we can make ORD connections, which aren't always fun if there's weather or ATC issues (which there often are).

============MODERATOR NOTE============

The ORD / Chicago O'Hare Connection Times - Domestic & International (consolidated) thread can be found here.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 7, 2014 at 11:52 am Reason: add link to connections times thread / image