FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - One night not available, adding an extra night makes it available
Old Sep 28, 2012, 4:03 pm
writerguyfl

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
If the person was actually staying for 2 nights/room was booked, someone else who wanted to stay for 2 nights in an oversold situation would be turned away anyway, so I'm not quite buying the argument that booking a 2-day stay & then changing it to 1-night is affecting others. If anything, it opens up 1 night that might not have been available.
The scenario I was thinking about was a single high-demand night. For example: When Saturday night will sell out but Friday and/or Sunday will not.

As for my comment regarding tipped employees, I was referring to the bell staff and food/beverage employees. (Housekeeping is not a tipped position.) Please note that I was careful with my words. I wrote that tipped employees will lose "the opportunity" to make money.

I don't make many comments here. When I do, it's generally to provide people information from the hotel perspective. I wasn't suggesting that every guest needs to consider tipped hotel employees when making travel decisions. Rather, I was presenting several data points as to why purposely evading minimum stay requirements can negatively impact the hotel.

I hope that clarifies my position.