FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The College Green Hotel Dublin, Autograph Collection (was Westin) [Master Thread]
Old Sep 28, 2012, 2:52 pm
habshabs444

Programs: Aeroplan E50K, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, Accor Diamond
Just stayed at the Westin Dublin for 2 nights on a short stopover between our stays in London and Paris. We arrived around midday from LHR and found the non-EU customs line to be very slow. Truth be told, that was only because the customs officers were so chatty and insisted on giving everyone travel tips which I found rather amusing.

Cab from the airport was 27EURO which seemed to be a tad high, but our driver more than made up for it. Our room was ready for our lunchtime checkin and although my SNAs didn't go through, we were given a writers room on the top floor (5th floor). Upon first entering the room, I was a little underwhelmed, until I realized that it had a good size terrace overlooking Trinity College which was the highlight of the room. This also made my wife rather happy as does enjoy the odd cigarette on holidays.

I assume that this hotel had undergone renovations within the last few years as everything seemed very new. We did have breakfast in the restaurant each morning as our PLAT amenity and it was quite good and plentiful, however it was a 5EURO upcharge from the continental to the full buffet.

We did decide to have dinner in their main restaurant one night and were extremely disappointed by the service. From 6-7:30 each night, they have an 'early bird' special which is a decent deal, especially combined with the SPG 20% deal (food only) going on right now. Needless to say, service was spotty at best. We waited 55 minutes to get our entrees from the time we ordered and that was only after having asked twice when they were coming (the restaurant was 1/3 full at best). Once our steaks did come out, mine was more medium well than medium rare, but by that point we were already late for an event we were attending so I didn't send it back.

Location is awesome as you are right on the edge of the Temple Bar area. This area can be a little touristy but drinks are more $ here. It seemed to be a common theme with any locals we encountered who were extremely price conscious about pint prices which I guess does add up if you are drinking a lot every night, but not to us who don't care about a 1EURO price difference on a pint.

We did want to try some local Irish fare one night and went to Gallaghers Boxty House and it was very tasty. Any of the bars with live music along that strip in Temple Bar are worth a stop in. The Guinness tour was nothing special, but the view from the Gravity Bar was quite spectacular.