FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - One night not available, adding an extra night makes it available
Old Sep 28, 2012, 8:41 am
SkiAdcock
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
It also means that a guest who wants to stay for multiple nights will be turned away. Finally, tipped hotel employees lose out on the opportunity to earn a living because the room will be empty on the second night.
If the person was actually staying for 2 nights/room was booked, someone else who wanted to stay for 2 nights in an oversold situation would be turned away anyway, so I'm not quite buying the argument that booking a 2-day stay & then changing it to 1-night is affecting others. If anything, it opens up 1 night that might not have been available.

Who are these tipped employees you're referring to? Housekeeping? Not everyone tips the housekeeper. If you're referring to restaurant/bar, that's making a leap. Not everyone eats/drinks on site either, and if it's a property that doesn't give points on incidental spend, there's a good chance someone is going to go off-site. Can't speak for others, but I've never made a decision on length of stay based on a possibility that a hotel employee might not get a tip.

Originally Posted by socrates
FYI - they do track this and will address it if it happens "often"
And re: tracking min & changing plans. Putting aside the OP's situation, we've all had experiences where our plans have changed & we've had to adjust length of stay. I doubt people run into minimum required stays on an everyday basis, so there wouldn't be much to track - ie, often.

And quite frankly, once a Marriott employee makes the change it's a done deal as far as I'm concerned. If Marriott is going to 'address it', they either need to stay firm on the minimum stay or address it with the employee who granted the waiver. It's not the customer's problem.

Cheers.