FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Planning trip to China in October, draft itinerary
Old Sep 28, 2012, 7:32 am
rkkwan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by moondog
Because I'd be mad hungry after waking up at 5, dining at a 7-11, and enduring a domestic Chinese flight. Second, it's on the way, and we're only talking about a y70 taxi plus a y15 taxi. That y85 easily makes up the difference between a meal in Shenzhen and a meal at a comparable eatery in HK. Third, I'm a firm advocate of the idea that anyone who subjects himself to the Shenzhen Shuffle should at least try to do something/anything in Shenzhen in order to justify it. Finally, when getting a bus at SZX, there's a chance of picking a bus company that uses one of the less pleasant border crossings; yeah, you can ask them, but those who don't speak decent Chinese are prone to being mislead.
Which is why I only tell people to use ChinaLink, as they only use Shenzhen Bay (except the very last SZX departure at 11:00p); and all buses go directly to Elements first. The Shenzhen Shuffle is done only because of cost, or there's no non-stop flights to HKG. Plain and simple. No other reason needed to justify it.

For someone who has luggage, and/or doesn't speak Chinese, there's no better option other than private van. And nothing in Shekou is worth an extra stop - it's not like the restaurants are right at the border - as you said, it's one taxi to that particular place to eat, and another taxi to get back to Shenzhen Bay.