FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Purchase "confirmed" but not yet ticketed? (not SQ)
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:30 am
RobOnLI
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
"Your purchase is confirmed" but it's not

Sorry, wasn't sure which if any previous thread this should go in. I'm really unhappy with United right now but I'm not sure if I'm even justified in it. With everything going on these days it seems the default answer would be yes

Yesterday I booked a ticket on United.com that is wholly TK operated and coded for ZRH-IST-xxx one way. Price was right so I hit purchase. I got the usual warning that the flights would take up to 24 hours to confirm because they were on a partner. Ok, no problem. I had a backup plan just in case because the flights I booked were leaving in 12 hours.

About an hour after I booked the flights I reloaded the United reservation and I got the message that "Your purchase in confirmed. Once the internal processing of your ticket is complete....". This tells me that Turkish accepted the booking and United just had to ticket it.

This morning I wake up in ZRH to find that not only has my ticket not been issued but all flights have been dropped from the reservation. I was on the phone with UA for over 30 minutes and they wouldn't fix it. Checking EF the IST-xxx flight is zeroed out in the back.

Was UA in the wrong here? My personal belief is that as soon as you see "Your purchase is confirmed" you are good to go. But maybe I am either misunderstanding that message or United is being too ambiguous about it.

Thoughts?

I've had to go with my backup now which is flying a OneWorld carrier to my destination that I absolutely don't want to do - and it's not BA or AA.

-RM