FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:38 pm
Boraxo
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by planemechanic
Have you actually read that McDonald's case? There is much more to it than most people think. It could have been settled for a few thousand in Doctors bills, and should have been settled. McDonald's was on notice from prior lawsuits for serving what amounted to a dangerous product, and the women in question suffered second degree burns. The only stupid thing about this case is the way McDonald's handled it.
Yes, I read it. D-**** old lady puts a cup of hot coffee between her legs in a moving vehicle. If you are that stupid you deserve to get burned. No $$. End of story. I can't think of anything dumber than claiming the product was dangerous. Hello!!! Coffee is supposed to be hot. Just like knives are supposed to be sharp. That's the way people want it. You don't sell dull knives (though you do sell cold coffee, its called frappucino )

Of course there were morons who sued McDs, there are lots of grifters and hungry lawyers who will file against a deep pocket company with the notion of buying a lotto ticket.

Originally Posted by Youngmiler
The McDonalds case is quite complex, the lady was wearing sweat pants and the liquid was absorbed by the pants causing a lot of burns, but it was proven that McDonalds was serving coffee exceptionally hot in comparison to tradition temperature of coffee.
:
The biggest complaint that McDs received - was that their coffee got cold too quickly. Hence the temperature. I don't think it is reasonable to expect McDs to assume that an adult consumer (children don't drink coffee) will be so incredibly stupid as to put a cup of hot liquid between their legs in a moving vehicle. Not reasonable. They would basically have to give up making hot beverages.

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
I'm still waiting to go watch my first big court case but haven't heard of any . Guess the supreme courts busy.
Me too. I am waiting for the first person to report filing small claims and a trial date. Almost worth flying in for entertainment value.