FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Nested tickets
Thread: Nested tickets
View Single Post
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:34 am
tmontemb

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm still having a hard time seeing how what you're doing will save a lot of money. If you fly on September 29, if M is the lowest fare class available on that date, you will be buying the M fare in one direction. You will have a change fee on the first ticket as well as a change fee on the October ticket that you've already purchased, probably $250-400 each.

A better strategy might be to try to change the return from the 28th to the 29th after you fly the outbound......Sorry, you're already doing this, but somehow changing the return date is causing the entire ticket to be refared. Could you be exceeding the maximum length of stay on the first ticket? If so, moving it later won't help. Could your fare only be valid for certain days of the week? Again, unlikely that this could make such a large difference.

Before doing anything, you should try to understand why this is being priced as your corporate travel agent claims. There could be a major mistake here.
I believe you have misunderstood the situation. There is no October ticket that has been purchased at this point.

Current ticket is Sept 17. USA-BLL, Sept. 28 BLL-USA. I need to leave Sept. 29 though instead of the 28th.

I must come to the EU again beginning of October, so another roundtrip ticket must be booked USA-BLL, Oct. 7 & BLL-USA Oct. 12.

After pricing out options, I can either change my flight from Sept. 28th to the Sept. 29th at a cost of about 15000 DKK.

OR I can buy a new ticket BLL-USA Sept 29, USA-BLL October 7 for about 9000 DKK. I can then change my Sept 28 original flight to October 12 at a much lower cost as this doesn't book into an M fare like the Sept 29 was trying to do.