FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Can miles from frequent flyer programs from the same alliance be combined?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:26 pm
joer1212

a number of airlines, including AA, BA, and UA allow one-way award redemptions--so if you get an AA card with a 50K signup bonus and a UA card with a 50K signup bonus, you can probably structure a low or saver biz award itinerary on two airlines, each one way.

This is an excellent point.
The funny part is that I already knew about this. But, being a newbie, it didn't naturally come to my mind that this is a great way of circumventing the high cost of miles required for r/t international business class redeemed in one ff program.

Once you've enjoyed that first trip, you'll figure out whether you actually need the comfort of business class or whether you're just as happy sitting back in coach so that you can take more trips later.

Actually, I have been a semi-avid traveler for several years now. So far, I have been to 13 countries around the world. Unfortunately, all of these international flights were in Economy Class. This is exactly why I'm so adamant about wanting to fly in Business Class (at least).
The last trip I took was to Thailand (via Hong Kong) in CX economy. I even paid an extra $100 to purchase an exit row seat (31a). The trip was nearly 16 hours long, and, let me tell you, it almost killed me. Needless to say I got virtually no sleep. It took me 3 precious days of my vacation to recover from this.