FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Can miles from frequent flyer programs from the same alliance be combined?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 1:19 am
TravelPDX7

Originally Posted by Happy
Who said you need to redeem your Explorer award with the most unfavorable way?

May be you have no idea on what "Maximizing the value" means? How about a more layman term of "Sweet Spot"?

You say you know about Explorer award ... If you really do, you would realize that it is rather difficult to redeem the lowest level because, guess what, the rule requires you fly 2 oneworld partner airlines other than AA... Try to construct such an itinerary that would be in the 0 to 1500 miles... On top of that, it is the most ineffective way to use Explorer award which should NOT be used when a regular award would suffice.

Furthermore, the Explorer award is not just distance based, it has its own rules which aint anything similar to your regular award as you know it.

But wait, since the proud example of your redemption is a rather ineffective way of using miles, may be indeed "maximization of value" is not in your tool box.

Your example just goes to show that you have the least idea how to use an Explorer award. The Explorer award would be most advantageous when it costs LESS to travel the same distance, AND allow you to visit many places, when multiple regular awards would be needed to do so. Again, your math is wrong because you have no idea what kind of math is actually needed to decide when to use an Explorer award. Of course if you can manufacture miles from the thin air with unlimited supply, that who cares how to use them to get the most out of such? Unfortunately you dont have such ability. So may be learning how to maximize the value of your miles is not too hard a concept to grasp?

Like I said, I should not pick thru someone's feel-good bubble. If you dont want to expand your horizon to learn something new, that is your choice. Hopefully others who read the thread would be able to think further and explore others ideas and suggestions, thus be better off in getting their award trips "worth" more, not just saving a few hundred bucks here and there but for a trip they would otherwise may not take due to affordability.

There are a lot of ways to redeem awards, yours happen to be one of the rather ineffective way. Most of us here cannot manufacture miles at will. So this is a precious resource. Some can make theirs worth like gold, but others may just get the worth of coal... Again, it is an option to each their own. @:-)

No wonder there is an old saying about Ignorance is a Bliss. Indeed.

Here is an Explorer award I had done - started from West Coast or cutting out Japan, you can do it with 130K.

MIA-LAX-AKL-SYD-SIN-KUL-HKG-TPE-ICN-KIX-CTS-NRT-SF0-LAS

Every city was a stopover. Business class all the way except the domestic Japan segments because JL only has First or Coach for the domestic flights and it would not let business class ticket holder sits in first class like the domestic US airlines do.

So if you can do a trip to Australia / NZ with 130K why would you waste the 60K on your PDX/SFO round trip? Unless you are brain dead, or you want to argue for argument sake. I suspect the latter not the former. lol.
Who said you need to redeem your Explorer award with the most unfavorable way?
YOU did

I am simply using your parameters YOU set on how to use 1w explorer pts, on my AR situation in my current situation. You said to use explorer points and due to the fact I spent 65k pts for my trip to MDZ, I extrapolate it out to apply what you were saying to the situation we were talking about, ie using 65k 1w EX points which from PDX could get me to Billings, MT, (no desire) Spokane, or SFO (only city I might think of going with in 1500m RT) LAS is 755m each way or 1510m total, requiring, 75k pts for business class.

You said 130k miles, would give me

20K miles in International business class
neglecting the fact that I redeemed TWO tickets to S America for 130 NOT one, I simply educated you on how redeeming 65k miles on a 1w explorer fare worked. NOT that I would do that, but to illustrate how to do it for your purposes. The route I flew was 13653 miles which equates to 115k per person round trip business at the 1w explorer rate.

You were comparing 1w explorer COACH rates vs my AA coach and UA business.

Here is an Explorer award I had done - started from West Coast or cutting out Japan, you can do it with 130K.

MIA-LAX-AKL-SYD-SIN-KUL-HKG-TPE-ICN-KIX-CTS-NRT-SF0-LAS
Why you keep commenting on how YOU would do a trip is irrelevant, I know how to do a 1w explorer trip, so you commenting on how to do it is asinine at best ridiculous in reality. I understand my situation and how to book trips, and do NOT for a second, let my low post count fool you, which I suspect is, into thinking I am any less informed as you.

This is the reason over the past few years I have not posted here.