FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Can miles from frequent flyer programs from the same alliance be combined?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:16 am
joer1212

Originally Posted by deltame
If you need meet $3K spend requirement for CC sign-on bonus
(1) prepay internet provider, if monthly cost is $50 then prepay 12 month in advance ($600);
(2) prepay transportation in NYC, e.g., 6 metrocards each loaded with 30-day unlimited or pay-per-ride whichever fits your commute needs ($600)
(3) purchase store gift/cash cards for future use - grocery store, electronics store, costco etc ($500 to $1000)
(4) purchase generic Amex gift cards, e.g., 6*$500=$3K (mission accomplished). Be sure to focus on the largest denomination gift card to save on surcharge (each card costs $5.95, so effectively you incur ~$36 fee but a great deal b/c you get the sign-on bonus). This is just a few "normal" ways to extend the time period to spend the $3K as you can your gift cards for regular purchase down the road.
(1) This sounds like an idea. I will check into it. My provider is Cablevision (in Brooklyn), and I don't yet know if they allow this option.

(2) I guess I'm lucky with this one, as I am a NYC subway train operator. I get a permanent unlimited free pass. It would've been a good idea, though.

(3) I never understood the draw of this one, even though a lot of people mention it.
You're basically borrowing from Peter to pay Paul. Unfortunately, once you've paid Paul, now you have to pay Peter, again. So, I don't see how people actually get somewhere with this method. Maybe I'm missing something.....

(4) This one is very similar to #3. Great, you've met the minimum spend for a credit card, for now. But, then, what do you do with 3k of Amex gift cards? You have to use them, which will take you away from from the spending requirement for your next app-o-rama in 3 months.

Sorry if I sound like I'm trying to be negative. I'm not. I'm only being pragmatic and rational.