FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Can miles from frequent flyer programs from the same alliance be combined?
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:27 pm
deltame

Originally Posted by joer1212
I pay just for my electric bill.
I also pay for internet and a cell phone plan (which I don't charge to my cc because Boost Mobile charges me taxes for this, whereas, if I pay at my local check cashing place they do not).
I cancelled my cable years ago; I no longer own a car (I live in NY, where it is not necessary), and the weekly pocket money I allow myself is currently $150.
My annual travel budget is limited to $5,000.
If you need meet $3K spend requirement for CC sign-on bonus
(1) prepay internet provider, if monthly cost is $50 then prepay 12 month in advance ($600);
(2) prepay transportation in NYC, e.g., 6 metrocards each loaded with 30-day unlimited or pay-per-ride whichever fits your commute needs ($600)
(3) purchase store gift/cash cards for future use - grocery store, electronics store, costco etc ($500 to $1000)
(4) purchase generic Amex gift cards, e.g., 6*$500=$3K (mission accomplished). Be sure to focus on the largest denomination gift card to save on surcharge (each card costs $5.95, so effectively you incur ~$36 fee but a great deal b/c you get the sign-on bonus). These are examples of "normal" ways to extend the time period to spend the $3K, in last example you can use your Amex gift cards to pay for any regular purchases down the road.

BTW, there is no need to report your exact income on an internet discussion forum.

Last edited by deltame; Sep 18, 2012 at 11:49 pm