FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2012 Survey: How Effective is the Transportation Security Administration?
Old Sep 15, 2012, 5:12 am
Himeno

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by suzeshoes
Just flew from ATL in the "Expert Traveler" Lane. When I asked to opt out of the full body scan (per doctor's orders), TSA agent was visibly annoyed and at once proceeded to tell me all the horrors of what this entailed ("pat down", additional screening.. etc.) I told him I was familiar with this and waited for "female assist". Then about 10 people went through metal detector because full body scanner resets itself every 45 minutes. TSA agent informs me that if I had waited a few minutes, I wouldn't have had to go through pat down. After watching all the people go through and my computer, purse, wallet all at the end of the line now, I asked if I could keep my eye on my valuables. TSA agent said "NO! that's the price you pay to OPT OUT". So I suppose we are punished if we are medically unable to go through the body scan....not my best ATL/TSA experience.
Last time I was in ATL, they directed me to the scanner when I was in front of the WTMD. I looked over at the scanner, looked back and said "no". They let me through the WTMD, then when I was expecting a screener to come over to give me a pat down, they all left the checkpoint. Shift change.