FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase retention bonus or fee waiver reports [Archive]
Old Sep 14, 2012, 7:48 pm
mintcilantro

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
accepted 3000 south west points

Originally Posted by Tiki
Originally Posted by mintcilantro
I got my Chase Southwest card last October and the $69 fee is due soon. They offer 3000 points annually but that's not enough to justify $69. I also have Freedom, Marriot and CSP cards from Chase.

I value Southwest points for short regional trips but the SW card doesn't have any points earning advantages over CSP. Can I request Chase to swap this card for the Hyatt or Priority club card as they both have a free annual night. Would it be better for me to apply for new card and then cancel it?

Apply for the card you want and if you don't get an instant approval, call Chase and offer to close the SW card and move the credit line to your new card.
I called Chase to check what they offer. The only way they would change to the priority club card would be to apply separately (and hence put another inquiry), so I decided against doing that. They instead offered me a 3000 SW points bonus to keep the card open. So that's effectively a 6000 points annual bonus. I accepted the offer. Took about 10 minutes on the call total.