FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]
Old Sep 10, 2012, 9:37 pm
uncommonsensical

Originally Posted by PhillyFlyers77
I would love to know the answer to this as well as checked bag policy for economy.

I did talk to an AAgent once who said that she believed that it varied by carrier, despite American's policy. She then said that there may be a change to promote continuity wherein each segment has the same rules as the airline you book through (ie AA) for Oneworld Explorer. To my knowledge, that has not happened yet.
Yeah, I REALLY hope Austinrunner or one of the pros chimes in. my experience thus far talking to AA agents is that they all agree it got murky after some DOT changes that went into effect in July 2012. the answers from different calls:

1. No problem. it's 3
2. Nobody knows. It will be up to the other carrier when you get there- we can't control what they do. my response: yeah, but they're YOUR OneWorld partners! If I have 3 70 pound bags and they decide that because their flight only has coach and they aren't AA, they're going to charge me 500+ dollars for my bags. I'd rather know BEFORE I'm at the gate! response: sorry.
3. A fruitless discussion that the COUNTRY (her point) controls it and this is a US DOT rule- check with the other country. My response: If I'm in PNH, the Cambodian govt. isn't going to be telling Dragonair what to charge me for my bags!. It will be Dragonair- based in HK! response: You won't know until you're there. (BTW, I called Dragonair- they told me to talk to AA).
4. Same as #3 until she asked a manager. Manager said he's pretty sure it will be based upon my ticket when I crossed the Pacific Ocean- so 3 bags up to 70 pounds. Asked if AA will give me anything in writing- NOPE!!

and there you have it......... clear as mud

Last edited by uncommonsensical; Sep 10, 2012 at 9:40 pm Reason: spelling mishap