FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DL/KL/LX: ORD-IST $529 (UA match noted)
View Single Post
Old Sep 10, 2012, 5:08 pm
qmiro

Programs: Gold DL, Silver UA, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by johndoe123
Thanks guys -- yeah, I actually thought this was a great deal -- not only for mileage reasons, but it's rare you can get such a good airfare over the week Christmas (Dec 24th-30th). I plan to spend 5 days there.

Does anyone have any suggestions for activities/itinerary? I was hoping to keep it under $700 each (for 2 people sharing rooms) for 6 days/5 nights of food/hotels/activities. Maybe it's not feasible, but certainly worth a try.
Istanbul is fairly inexpensive compared to other European cities. You can eat quite cheaply and the sights are not expensive. Make sure you hit the Blue Mosque, Aya Sophia, Top Kapi, and Istiqlal Street (in the modern part of town).
Make sure you hit the "Simit Sarai" chain of local restaurants for a cheap lunch. Also smoke hoookah and go to a haman.
PM me if you need further tips. I stay at the Eklektik Galata guesthouse. You can find it online. It's off Istiqlal and very reasonable (100 euro for two people per night incl. a delicious breakfast).
Also, do NOT miss the fish sandwiches sold right off the Galata bridge from the side of the old town. Right when you get off the bridge if you are walking, on your right hand side (facing old town and spice bazaar) you will see a lot of Turkish people sitting down in a shack-like tent eating delicious pita with fish. Amazing. And filling at about 2TL a sandwich.
Have fun.