FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Getting spending up without the Mint
View Single Post
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:56 am
Marathon Man
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by QL_714
As far as NS goes anyone that has their account closed should receive their money in 2-4 weeks. If you can’t wait that long you should not play this game. This is the big problem with many here and bloggers, that don’t mention this important part of the game.
Originally Posted by Stoughton
To expand on this for those still using the card:

Your account may/will be closed w/o warning – it simply goes away and you are (obviously) unable to use the card AND you will be unable to access your online account – this means no access to records of transactions.

Keep track of your expenditures as once they close it, it's your word against theirs in terms of balance.

If you call the CSR, you will get someone with marginal communication skills who will tell you nothing other than it has been closed. You will not get a reason. If you ask to speak to a supervisor, you’ll be told none are available and they will call you back

They will not call you back

You will be told it will take up to 20 days to get a refund check. They likely won’t tell you this is 20 business days.

They will most likely take the entire period of time to get you your money. My account was closed on August 13th. I’m still waiting for my funds.

If you can’t float the balance for a month, do not do this. They can, and they probably will, shut you down for unexplained reasons. Even if you’re doing everything by the rules, they still have the right to close your account. While I know what probably got mine closed, it’s really a crap shoot on what might trigger it for anyone else.
exactly my experience.
And I had one other step in the middle... at one point my acct was restricted but a call to CS led me to fraud who, after a long hold time did allow me to send in my IDs (scans) and this eventually turned my acct back on. I was then able to go a bit over the $15k we all have now found to be a high limit with NS. With that, and the fact i was now being offered other NS products, AND got the chance to do the referral, I figured I was somehow OK'd by NS. Like I said a good month of no use at all resulted in them just shutting me down anyway and all i was on the hook for was the $20 for that referral.

So for me it was hardly about the money (but I wanted it) but more about WHY, HOW and principle. Yeah whatever these banks or GCs can shut people down for whatever reason they may wish to attach but when pressed they ultimately do have to have one. And they would, if brought to court, etc, ultimately would send your money. They just figure they can make us suffer for a bit first.

I am moreeeeeeeeeeeeeeee than prepared to have several thousand on play on deals like this if need be. It aint pretty but I can and will do it. Like Pickles had reported with Square holding his funds for a long time, I had the same thing happen with intuit. They threatened 270 days! But based on QL's thinking, I just just allow that and suck it up as part of the game and not fight to get it back. NO. I fought and did get it back in about 35 days. And so my reasoning--once again--for sharing this NS issue was to enlighten others so that they too can find the means individually or collectively to get back their funds! If that action is seen as horridly wrong by this place, then I'll quit Ft here and now.

We used NS as a tool and hopefully it worked as a vehicle more than it hurt. For many it did. For some maybe it still does. And as Stoughton says above, we followed the T&Cs as we saw them in print. But it seems NS decided to play hardball and so that's why I suggested we ban together to try and get THEM on the run here. or to at the very least get them to pay up.

no one could have known (QL included) that they would want to hold funds for 20+ business days unless it happened to him too. It angers me that they should both do that AND lie about calling us back and not providing more info, which is why I call them the scammers. Again, we followed the T&Cs. And while are actions could be 'not what the program was intended for' my thinking here is: They should have designed a better product with clearer terms.