FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New pmUA best practice for using GPU
View Single Post
Old Sep 7, 2012, 4:02 pm
BilligCharlie

Programs: Mileage Plus Silver, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by cocaine
So my understanding from reading all of the threads on GPU is that the newer "better" changes that I'll like at United, the new GPU process is...
  1. Try to find flight w/ RN space, but if none available, book flight with RN0, apply GPU and get put on waitlist. (Book w/ GPU eligible fare.)
  2. Check daily to see if RN space opens up (check specific segments as RN space shows differently if there are connections).
  3. If/when space opens up and the upgrade does not automatically clear, either...
    a) apply another GPU to get the upgrade to clear immediately and hope United will refund the "waitlisted" GPU when I call.
    b) call United immediately and get them to push through the waitlisted upgrade hoping that someone doesn't book it prior to getting it pushed through.

Is this correct? Does this strategy change when under T-24?

If I paid for a EF account is there an e-mail alert I can set for if RN space opens up on specific flights? Does a basic account work or do I need a premium account for this?

Is there a better way to go about this?

Thank you in advance!
So now that we will no longer be able to see R/RN space available what is the new strategy?

Would this work...

under T-24 call in and act like I want to book a ticket using a GPU on a flight during the same day. Ask if there is any confirm-able space open, and if there is then ask to have wait-listed GPU applied?