FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dublin - Whistlestop Tour and Preclearance Advice
Old Sep 6, 2012, 5:07 pm
UAPremExecflyer
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by stut
Thanks! I'm probably going to end up at the Academy Plaza on Findlater Place, on the basis that it seems cheap, non-scummy, central, and on the airport bus route. Any vague directions from there would be much appreciated!

(And sorry if I was unclear, by "whistlestop tour", I meant me having a potter round by foot and/or bike, not an actual tour...)

And a bit of rain won't put me off - I'm from the West of Scotland...
The hotel may be "non-scummy" but the top of O'Connell Street around Parnell Street is not the most salubrious part of Dublin .
I wouldn't be spending too much time going for a night walk.
Suggest you go to bed - as you're not indulging in a beverage - and get up early in the morning.
By that stage - 0600 and beyond - most of the darker denizens of the night will have wandered off.
Take a walk down O'Connell Street past the GPO (General Post Office) - still with bullet holes from 1916.
Given the limited time, I'd suggest crossing O'Connell Bridge and walking to Trinity College and around and up Grafton Street into St Stephen's Green. Was going to suggest breakfast at Bewley's on Grafton Street, but it's not open until 0800. There are plenty of other smaller spots for brekkie. Walk around or across the Green and then around back down Kildare Street, past the Dail (Irish Parliament) and left at the bottom to take back around to the front gates of Trinity and across the bridge again to O'Connell Street.
That route gives you a mini tour of the centre of Dublin, getting in a few landmarks along the way.