FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA policy: One can inherit / transfer miles due to death or divorce (master thread)
Old Sep 6, 2012, 4:07 pm
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
You may have the best solution already. You have a certain amount of time to wrap up the affairs of the estate, and it may be wise to let the Citi miles take in the AAdvantage account before settling the account. IMO, anyway, as I am not an attorney... so be sure to check with your legal adviser for any guidance you might prefer from a properly trained person.

Originally Posted by dave_SEA
Moderators- I couldn't really figure out the best place to post, so please move it if more appropriate

I’m serving as the executor of an estate, and was pleased to learn that AA miles may be transferred to a surviving spouse.

My scenario involves miles earned on a Citi AA card that hasn’t posted yet. For example, if the card has 5K in spending, and then is closed due to death, would those 5K ever post to the owners AA account? Of course, the balance would need to be paid at some point, but am wondering if those miles will ever post. This may factor in on the timing when I notify Citi of the owners death…perhaps it is wisest to wait until the day after statement closing before informing?

Has anyone been in a similar scenario?
Attached Images  

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 14, 2018 at 8:42 am Reason: Add affidavit provided by JonNYC