FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Sep 6, 2012, 4:37 am
WHBM

Programs: BA
The above questions highlighted in bold are still up for grabs.....
18) What was the only airline operating jet equipment between Miami (MIA) and Grand Turk, BWI (GDT) at this time? Also identify the aircraft type.

Air Florida ? That's a bit of a cheat, I've an old timetable of theirs from the next year, 1980, which I looked up last night, twice a week with a 737.

19) Name the airline that was operating Boeing 720 service from Miami (MIA) to Aguadilla, PR (BQN) at this time.

Aguadilla didn't get much of a mainstream service at the time, so it's probably a secondary operator. Could it be winter only ? Southeast has some 720s at Miami at the time, which they had picked up from Eastern. Just a guess, can't think of another US Miami carrier who could have done it on a 720.
http://www.airliners.net/photo/South...022/0817370/M/

20) Four (4) airlines were operating service between Miami (MIA) and Port Au Prince, Haiti (PAP) at this time. Identify all four carriers as well as the respective equipment types they flew on the route.

I think in 1979 American had started some Caribbean routes out of Miami, and this was an early one because they had served Haiti from JFK ever since they took over Trans-Caribbean. I think Pan Am had given up by this time but Eastern were still doing it, so that's two. I'll say Air France again even though my last AF guess for Haiti was wrong, their Caravelles would have gone by 1979 and it would be a 727 sent over for the season as a change of air from doing Paris to London shuttles. A fourth, might be any of the 5th freedom operators, given that Haiti never got any meaningful airline of their own. ALM on a DC9 always liked doing oddball multistops. And didn't Aerocondor from Colombia serve Haiti with a colourful 720B ? That route can't have filled much of the plane, did they continue on to Miami ?

23) This airline operated Boeing 727-200 service at this time from Edmonton (YEG) and Calgary (YYC) to Phoenix (PHX). Name the carrier.

I see Cattle has dismissed Hughes Air West, but I'll go for that.