FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Most overrated tourist attractions in the world
Old Sep 2, 2012, 9:37 am
BuildingMyBento
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks

Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
Prater, Vienna - just another amusement park.

The Imperial Palace, Tokyo - because you don't get to see (and even less visit) the palace. You can only have a look at the moat and fortifications surrounding the site.

Odaiba, Tokyo - not sure why this reclaimed land is often listed as a tourist attraction. A mix of shopping malls, offices, construction sites and empty land.
Except for two days a year, you wouldn't be able to visit the actual Imperial Palace; did advertisements lead you to believe you'd be taking a peek? The gardens are ho-hum, IMO, but I don't ever recall hearing that one could just stop on by (with/without advanced notice) and welcome themselves in.

Odaiba, ehh, seems like more of a destination for those who like public transit. You can walk on the Rainbow Bridge, take a monorail, another subway, something else...more shopping too, yes, and there's even a mall specifically for women, VenusFort. I went there for five minutes, but that was more because I just took a day to see the area. This isn't a pro-Odaiba blurb, but at least there are different photo opportunities of Tokyo, and a bunch of food options (if that's your thing).