FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Internet in China
View Single Post
Old Aug 30, 2012, 3:05 pm
Loren Pechtel
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
Let the record show that, in Beijing at least, August 12, 2012 (working hours) was the worst I've ever seen it. It appears that they are experimenting with some new censorship techniques, and have started off with a blanket approach, which they will (hopefully) fine tune later.

Basically, google.com and yahoo.com load without fail, but when I click on search results, those links are almost unilaterally blocked (e.g. 5% success rate). Since I let my VPN lapse (I don't use FB/twitter, and can live without youtube) a few months ago, I felt completely and utterly powerless doing my research work, but I managed to (grudgingly) make do with baidu. Again, I honestly believe this is a very short lived trend so I'm not going to get back on the VPN bandwagon on account of today alone. But, on the off chance the game continues for a week or more, I won't give it a second thought.

ETA: I checked google/yahoo again seconds after posting, and it appears that order has been restored.
In Shanghai (admittedly an internet cafe, not my own system) I have given up on using Google. The links always redirect to Baidu.