FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ridiculous things your company has done to reduce travel expenses
Old Aug 29, 2012, 3:34 pm
YuropFlyer

Originally Posted by Science Goy
In the US, approximately one kilogram. Fresh produce is expensive here.
Sorry - I got the impression that food generally in the US is cheaper than in Europe, especially Switzerland (which is about 50% more expensive than Germany/France) - here, 4$ will buy you about 3-4 bananas and 2-3 apples, which is enough fresh food for about 2 days.. (Bananas are about 3$/kg, apples about the same, grapes varies according to season, non-core one's are 2-4$ per 500g (cheaper if you buy in big quantities, but I'm assuming small-packages only), peaches about 2.5$ per kg, pairs about 2.5$ per kg too, you can get an easy impression here: (Currency roughly is 1:1 against the $)
http://www.aktionis.ch/fruechte+gemuese

I'm really surprised to see fresh fruits being more expensive in the US - why is it like this? I would have thought your government should be interested in having healthy food being sold at affordable costs to fight obesity? If I can get two apples for the same price as a Big Mac, I can imagine most people will choose the Burger over the apples..