FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Four Points Mexico City [Master Thread]
View Single Post
Old Aug 27, 2012, 7:34 pm
MSP2SEA

Programs: DL Diamond MM, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, National Exec Elite
Enjoying this thread. I would add a few things to the conversation, as I'm a frequent traveler to MEX for both business and pleasure. Have stayed at all Starwood properties except the new Four Points and the Sheraton. In addition, I also recently went on a trip w/ my wife for our 10 yr anniversary. We stayed 3 nights at the W, 3 nights at St Regis. I was very happy with this split arrangement. Best of both worlds.

- Have not stayed at this Colonia Roma 4 Points yet, but I have stayed at both 4 Points locations in Monterrey. They are NOT up to "China-Level" 4 Points standards... more like an idiosyncratic version of a US 4 Points property. Low quality furniture and bedding in the rooms, tiny breakfast area, tiny gym (just a lone treadmill). I would stay at either again happily, but wouldn't bring my wife there on our anniversary. As a point of reference: At the breakfast buffet, you hand squeeze your own oranges to make your juice. There's a box of oranges out next to the hand squeezer (Actually loved this, but others might not be impressed). Short story, I would not put these properties in the same league as St Regis or W in Mexico.

- The Roma/Condessa neighborhood is great... but it is only a 10 minute cab ride from the St Regis... and maybe 20 minutes from W Polanco.

- The St Regis "executive suite" rooms are really great rooms, and all of the facilities in the hotel are top notch. In other major global cities, this would be a $700+ per night hotel. You're getting a great deal, globally speaking. Critiques of the neighborhood are on point... but... very nice hotel. We also made some use of the high-priced drivers. In my view were worth the money... Wouldn't use them every time, but gave us some great insights as tourists.

- The W in Polanco, location is super good, and the hotel ... while showing its age in some rooms... is still pretty solid. Polanco's food scene is more upscale and buttoned down than Condessa/Roma, but quite a lot of options within walking distance. I would also consider this to be a safer neighborhood at night than the edges of Condessa. This is still probably my #1 Starwood choice in Mexico City thanks to its location.

- Tourist tip: Don't miss Bazaar Sabado in San Angel. Great art shopping, and in the center of the building an amazing quesadilla vendor. Make sure you give yourself a few hours.

- So, if I were in your shoes... I would not abandon the St Regis altogether. Consider splitting time w/ either the W or the Four Points.

- To the other guy who is going to pick up a rental car and drive around Mexico City... you're crazy. I guarantee you will be at least an hour late to your client's office, if you make it at all. I drive other cities in Mexico, Europe, Korea... haven't even halfway considered driving in Mexico City. It is a beast. There's construction everywhere, and your routing changes daily. My advice: During the weekdays, just suck it up and stay in Santa Fe. On the weekend, come back down to the city. Santa Fe is boring, though the Westin is a nice enough property, and many of the great restaurants from the city have (quiet) branches in Santa Fe, so you'll survive staying up there. Even if you decide to commute by cab instead of rental car, ask yourself is it worth spending 3 hours a day in a taxi?