FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How could the Dollar/Thifty group be worth $2 billion?
Old Aug 27, 2012, 2:45 pm
iahphx
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm still amazed the Dollar/Thrifty could really be worth more than $2 billion. Do they really have loyal customers? Who are they? There's just no real reason to rent from them -- except price.

While I rent a lot of cars, I think I only use Dollar/Thrifty once or twice a year. I do make a lot more reservations with them, though. Whenever I book an airline ticket that I'll need a car rental for, I always book the car rental at the same time (just in case car rental rates go up). When this is a few months in advance, Dollar/Thrifty is often the cheapest. As it gets closer to the rental day, other companies tend to get more competitive (or I use Priceline), so I rarely actually use my Dollar/Thrifty reservations (since I do appreciate the option, I do cancel the rezzies I don't use).

Earlier this month, I did actually rent from Dollar at PHX because nobody else (including Priceline) ever became competitive with them. I didn't like my experience at the counter: it was much more hard sell than what I'm used to at the competition. A day after I got the car, I realized there was a pretty large scratch on the front bumper (I didn't notice it in the dark garage). I then worried a bit that I'd be hassled about it when I returned the vehicle -- Dollar/Thirfty is more likely to hassle you than the big boys -- but my concern was unfounded. Still, it reminded me why I don't like to rent from them (even though their cars are about the same as the other agencies).

My immediate future car rental needs will probably not call for Dollar/Thrifty. There are lots of promo rates available this fall. Like I just got a full size at SAT on Priceline for $10/day, and a compact direct from Hertz at PDX for $13/day. I swear, I started renting cars back in the '80s, and I don't think the rates have really gone up since then (the taxes have, though!). Given this reality, I can't imagine why anyone would pay more than $2 billion for a third tier car rental company which has no brand loyalty.