FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]
Old Aug 27, 2012, 9:58 am
ULMFlyer

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by soarer
I always Opt out , but wonder why my baggage has to be hand inspected instead of the regular machine inspected ? is that just because I Opted out ?

Or was it just bad luck ?
I had no bag check today at JFK when I opted out, but had one last time at IAD. So I'd guess luck has more to do with it.

Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
I don't see where the notion of going into the NoS box comes into play.
Me neither. Before I got reasonably better from my shoulder injury, I never stepped into the NoS box. I'd inform them beforehand I couldn't assume the position and they'd wave me through the WTMD.

Now that I'm better, and provided that I have enough time, I'm actually opting out instead of using the shoulder/medical waiver. I like to make other passengers aware that it's an option.

Today at JFK, my SDOO failed and the TSO told me to stand in line for the BSXR. I said "Fine, but then I'll be opting out." He then pretended not to listen thinking I might change my mind when I got to the front of the line. When that happened, I turned to him again and said "I told you I was going to opt out." He rolled his eyes and called for a male assist.

The new TSO arrived in less than 10s. The agent was nice and the grope and explanations were very professional like in all my previous experiences at JFK, albeit a little more thorough than usual. In 3 mins I was on my merry way.