FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Carryon replacement for Travelpro circa 1998
Old Aug 26, 2012, 8:02 pm
kbins

Programs: AA PLT
Carryon replacement for Travelpro circa 1998

I have a 22" Travelpro (circa 1998) that has been great, taken me round the world a few times, qualified me for Platinum 3x, but the handle finally stuck in the "up" position and Travelpro's email response on replacement parts query was cut from their script and didn't actually answer the question whether I could fix it (probably not, but I had to ask). So I'm looking for a replacement bag.

I am not currently travelling frequently - taking time off with kids - but have a few domestic trips coming up and hope to go back to work in the next 18-24 months with international and domestic travel in the future. So want another bag that will serve me well as my primary carry on bag given the newer restrictive environment.

I initially ordered a Travelpro FlightCrew 4 20" bag. I like many aspects of it, but comparing to my old bag, it's definitely smaller. It matches my hubby's Travelpro Crew3, I think, in size. I took his bag to London last year and I hated the smaller size, it was tip-prone, as well as the spinner wheels. I think I'm going to send the Flightcrew 4 20" back.

I spent an hour at my local luggage store and he had some good feedback for me about warranties, the parts he sees needing replacement on the various bags, and such. At this point, despite the fact that my Travelpro lasted 15 years, I am inclined not to get a Travelpro based on the current review of what seems to break and what isn't covered under even a 1 year warranty.

I really like the 22" Victorinox Werks 4 bag. I am about convinced, but the 10" depth has me concerned. Will I encounter gate check police with this bag? The single handle doesn't bother me, I never piggy-backed my laptop on my suitcase in the past. I want the option for expandability (if I shop and fill the bag, I will check it for the return home) but want to have legal carry-on size for the arrival to destination.

Briggs & Riley - not an option, I don't like the external handle.

I've searched and read lots of former threads here. Am I over thinking this for a $300 purchase?