FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Japan Narita Customs - Importing prescription medication on prohibited list
Old Aug 25, 2012, 8:35 pm
akira2472

Thanks for all of the responses people and thanks for merging the thread MOD

Unfortunately, both the Yakkan Shoumei and aternative medicines options will not work. The Yakkan Shoumei as discussed earlier will not allow Adderall, neither will filling out the special exemption section. The only way I know of doing it like that would be a special request from the Japanese/American Consulate, and I have no idea how to start that nor would I put in the effort to have both the American and Japanese consulates discussing my medication. Currently in Japan the only available ADHD medications are Ritalin and Straterra, Ritalin can only be prescribed for narcolepsy, not ADHD and Straterra is well... I've tried it before and it was terrible. So there are no alternative medications available in Japan.

I've come to the conclusion that I am not going to try and bring my adderall in, what alarmed me was my university telling me that I was going to have a placement test upon arrival at 8 a.m. that would determine my fate for the year. Waking up at 7 am and then taking a 2 hour Japanese test is a nightmare for anyone, but for thats just a guaranteed failure. What I think I'm going to do, is just put 1 or 2 adderall at the bottom of one of my other prescription bottles/wallet, and thats all I will be taking. I HIGHLY doubt they will find that.

I think its interesting to note though, that technically I am smuggling already because I will be taking more than a 1 month supply of anti-malaria pills as well as retin-a skin creme. If they for some reason throw a fit and deport me for having too many anti-malaria pills/skin creme, then I actually don't care to be in their country. Thanks for all of the help everyone!