FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DL passenger denied boarding due to t-shirt design
Old Aug 25, 2012, 2:22 am
Top Tier

Programs: AA,AS,UA,Hyatt,Hilton
three things...

First, I am amazed at the number of posters siding with Delta ITT. Sad to see what has become of my fellow citizens.

Second, many seem to overlook the fact that he did relinquish the shirt, yet was still denied boarding. That tells me the shirt was just a convenient excuse, and that the real motive in denying him boarding was more likely either his political beliefs or his appearance.

Lastly, many posters have correctly noted that Delta, as a private actor, is not bound by the Constitution. I would add though that freedom of expression is not only a right protected by the Constitution, but also one of the highest ideals of American society as a whole. A cherished principle that, IMO, should be respected by all Americans, public and private.

So while Mr Arijit may not have cause to seek Constitutional remedy in a court of law, he is right in seeking to hold Delta to account in the court of public opinion. They have demonstrated contempt for the principle of free speech by punishing this gentleman for his political message, and I for one join him in condemning Delta's disregard for free speech and common sense.

I would note also that while Delta is not a public entity, Niagara Frontier PD and TSA are, and they should be held to account for having subjected this citizen to harassment and additional scrutiny based on a political message.

Last edited by Top Tier; Aug 25, 2012 at 3:23 am