FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Do they have pre paid mobile phones in Brazil?
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:42 pm
higo

Tiki: I'd recommend buying the SIM card on your destination city, because a SIM card from one state will incur in roaming charges if used in another state.

Originally Posted by austinrob
I'm in the same boat. Will in in SP for a week in a couple of months and am looking to have a number for local calls. I have an unlocked phone to bring with me that I could put a local SIM in, I just don't know if I'll be able to get one (no CPF).
You can buy a prepaid SIM Card from a kiosk without a CPF. Unfortunately the SIM will only work only for receiving calls and texts until you activate them with a CPF. The activation will be needed to make calls.

If you are staying just for a week, perhaps it could be easier to ask a Brazilian friend to 'borrow' you his/her CPF number, or for the friend to activate the phone for you rather than going through the obtaining-the-CPF-process.

It is possible to obtain a CPF as a non-resident foreigner, but that process can take some time, so that'd be better option if staying in Brazil for longer. The instructions [portuguese] from the Receita Ferderal (Brazilian IRS) can be found here.

http://www.receita.fazenda.gov.br/pe...srespostas.htm

According to those instructions (I didn't do the process mself), you'll need a valid ID from your country of origin and a certified translation. The process can be done in Brazil at the Receita Federal and your CPF number should be available 48 hours later. Alternatively it could be done through a Brazilian Embassy.

Last edited by higo; Aug 23, 2012 at 10:48 pm