FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Aug 23, 2012, 8:30 am
jlemon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Excellent questions from WHBM!

And I'm still waiting for the answer with regard to the British airline that served a destination that was located nearly 700 feet below sea level!

I'll take a stab at the first three questions.....

1) I believe Pan Am was operating nonstop between JFK and LAX at this time, most likely with B747 equipment. And I think Eastern may have been flying JFK-LAX nonstop as well with an L1011 once a day. Over at Newark, World Airways was operating a DC-10 nonstop EWR-LAX with their low fare experiment at this time....and back at JFK, I think the DC-8 operator may have been Capitol Air, perhaps with Super DC-8 series 60 equipment on the JFK-LAX nonstop route.

2) This sure sounds like Braniff International, most likely with DC-8-62 equipment. The JFK-MIA flights operated by BN were part of their services to and from South America at the time.

3) From good old Burbank Airport (an airfield I also know quite well having been born and raised in nearby Pasadena), the two airlines operating BUR-LAS service were Hughes Airwest, operating DC-9-30 equipment, and Pacific Southwest Airlines (PSA), flying B727-200 aircraft. Later on, PSA operated the BAe 146 on the route and I remember my flight on this "Smileliner" from LAS to BUR following a very rigorous hiking adventure I undertook in the Grand Canyon one summer (and I won't repeat that mistake of attempting to hike out of such a big ditch in the high desert when air temps are over 100 degrees F).

And then there was the high frequency LAX-LAS service operated by Western Airlines. I think WA was flying around sixteen (16) or so roundtrips a day on the route, primarily with B737-200 equipment at this time. The other carrier flying LAX-LAS was PSA, again with B727-200 aircraft.

Other carriers around this same time period (late 70's and early 80's) that served LAX-LAS included American, TWA and United but they operated very few flights. And in August of 1980, they may have not provided service on this route at all.

Last edited by jlemon; Aug 23, 2012 at 9:54 am Reason: Decided to answer question 3) as well....