FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Five Star Way Home: HKG-DOH-IAD-SFO
View Single Post
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:18 pm
btang

Programs: CX SL, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton HHonors Diamond
The Five Star Way Home: HKG-DOH-IAD-SFO

What does it take to become a Skytrax certified five star airlines? Is it service, hard product, or just a bit of luck? Although perceived as merely a marketing tool for airlines, this special recognition is still, as of now, only an exclusive club for a few airlines. I have had the pleasure of flying aboard members of this exclusive bunch, such as Cathay Pacific, Asiana, Singapore Airlines etc. It never crossed my mind, however, that Qatar Airways, the national carrier of a small Middle Eastern nation that most people have probably never heard off, would be a five star airline.

So what made me choose Qatar over the many options to fly back San Francisco? Well, frankly fate. Originally, I was booked on the “boring” route back to San Francisco via Tokyo on ANA. However, fate intervened when United allowed Qatar premium award redemption at Star Alliance Saver Award price, which was 60,000 miles, instead of the original exorbitant price of more than 170,000 miles. What’s more, combining Qatar flights with United or Star Alliance flights was also permitted. The plan is perfect, flying through Doha to one of the furthest U.S. gateways, I am able to maximize the Qatar Airways 5 star experience, while keeping flight time with non-desired airlines at a minimum.

By the time my trip was re-ticketed, what was intended as a short transpacific flight back home turned into an extension, forming my first ever RTW trip(hopeful the first of many to come!). Although the return trip is not as ambitious as my incoming flights to Hong Kong, it is nonetheless a brand new experience.

For those interested, here is the link to my previous trip report:

A crazy routing for a crazy college student:Star Alliance C Award SFO-NRT-ICN-SIN-HKG

Trip Report Index

Hong Kong Airport: Check In, Plaza Premium Lounge

QR 813 Hong Kong to Doha

The Doha Premium Transfer Experience

QR 52 Doha to Washington Dulles

Dulles: The Nightmare of all Airport Transfers

UA 244 Washington Dulles to San Francisco

Conclusion

Last edited by btang; Sep 3, 2012 at 11:12 pm