FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - OLCI purchased upgrade offer to non-elite before elite upgrades processed
Old Aug 22, 2012, 8:11 pm
beerup

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by beerup
Despite all the discussion and speculation in this thread and others, AFAIK, there has not been a single veritable instance reported on FT of an elite missing an upgrade when an LFBU had been sold on that flight. Maybe the OP of this thread came close, but unless he comes back and claims otherwise, the evidence suggests that he was upgraded (and no LFBUs were sold).
Originally Posted by vail
That is incorrect.
Perhaps I was not clear.
My wife and I--both elites-- were on the same record and we OLCI and were put on waitlist.
My grandson on a different record OLCI and was asked to upgrade--not an elite--and received the upgrade.
At the gate there were at least 10 people on the upgrade list--and 2 empty seats--which neither my wife nor I received.
So no matter what you think--AA is upgrading non elites for the revenue.
Sorry, I missed that one. Yes, I agree that you make a convincing case that a LFBU was sold on a flight where an elite was denied an upgrade.

Originally Posted by vail
we booked 3 months in advance.
At 100 hours it was F5
At 24 hours it was F3

Aftter I OLCI my grandson it was F2.
I asked to be placed on the upgrade list.
I did not clear.
In the very-best-case scenario vail and mrs. vail were the only two elites on the upgrade list when LFBUs were offered and AA stopped offering them when vail III purchased one. Then, subsequently several others
joined the upgrade list and the remaining seats were taken by walk-up tickets or IRROPS. Of course, that scenario seems highly unlikely and even if it were true, it shows that sale of LFBUs can cut it very close.